Other forms of service and being exempted from military service

It is possible to fulfil the liability for military service in armed service or unarmed service in the Finnish Defence Forces or in non-military (civil) service. Members of the Jehovah’s Witnesses can apply for deferment to postpone the start of service time.

Unarmed service

If reasons of conscience prevent you from fulfilling the liability for military service in armed service, you can apply for unarmed service, which lasts for either 255 or 347 days. This form of service equals a regular conscript service in all other respects but excludes the armed training. Information on how to apply for unarmed training will be available at the Regional Offices and at the call-ups.

Non-military (civil) service

If reasons of conscience prevent you from completing the conscript service regulated in the Conscription Act, you can apply for exemption. In this case, you have to complete the non-military (civil) service. Additional information on the service time and service location of the non-military (civil) service can be accessed on the site of the Civil Service Centre.

The service time in non-military (civil) service is 347 days. Please fill out the application form of the Ministry of Economy and Employment. You have to apply for non-military (civil) service after the call-ups.

Residents of the Åland Islands

Those with right of residence on Åland and persons who have moved to Åland under the age of 12 can fulfil their liability for military service in maritime pilot station service or lighthouse service of the Finnish Maritime Administration.

Jehovah’s witnesses

If you are a member of the Jehovah’s witnesses, you will upon application be granted deferment for three years, if you present a less than two-month-old certificate from the congregation stating that you are an active congregation member. When reapplying for deferment, you need to provide a new certificate indicating your congregation membership.

You may be granted deferment until the end of the year that you turn 28. If the deferment has continued without interruption and the prerequisites for deferment still apply, you may upon separate written application be exempted from military service during peacetime.